Fire guts 17 houses, bank

No fewer than 17 structures were razed by fire on Monday in the Ikota, Lekki-Ajah area of Lagos State, after a resident left a lighted candle in his room.
This is just as a section of a branch of Access Bank in the Ojo area of the state was severely damaged by fire after a power surge.
Our correspondent learnt that the Ajah fire began around 12.34am, while some of the residents were asleep.
The Director of the Lagos State Fire Service, Rasak Fadipe, said the agency deployed firefighters from the Lekki Fire Station in the scene.
He said, β€œSomebody forgot a candle and slept off. It burnt out and started a fire. We met the fire raging and we engaged in active firefighting operation to save the shanties, but unfortunately, we lost 17 of them to the fire.”
It was gathered that the section of the Access Bank at Ojo Alaba International Market went up in flames around 8am on Monday.
The fire, which started from the air conditioner, was said to have been caused by a power surge.
Our correspondent learnt that the workers of the company battled the flames with fire extinguishers before the arrival of firefighters from the Ikotun fire station.
Fadipe, who also confirmed the incident, said the fire affected the ceilings and destroyed some furniture in the lunch room.
He urged residents to be more safety conscious and be watchful to avoid unnecessary loss of lives and property.



Stay Updated with all Nigeria University News, Polytechnic News, JAMB UTME, Post-UTME, WAEC, NECO, NABTEB, GCE and more;

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.