Fire guts female hostel at Bayelsa Medical university

Fire on Wednesday, broke out in one of the students hostels on campus of the Bayelsa State Medical University located in in the state capital metropolis.

The fire, which started about 6:40a.m., in one if the female hostel of the university, was reportedly caused by an electric spark while a student was trying to iron her clothes.

It was learned the alarm raised on the fire outbreak caused pandemonium on the campus with students running for safety, while others tried to move their valuables from the hostel.

The fire was successfully put out by personnel of the Federal and State Fire Services, who responded to the emergency call, thereby succeeded in stopping the fire from spreading to other rooms in the hostel block.

Vice Chancellor of the institution, Prof. Ebitimitula Etebu and the Chief Security Officer, Prince Diete-Spiff commended the officials of the two Fire Services for their prompt response to the emergency.

Though no life was lost, personal effects, including documents and clothes of occupants of the affected room were destroyed by the fire.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.