JAMB has disclosed that over 1.16 million candidates have so far been registered in the ongoing 2023 UTME registration. The registrar of JAMB, Ishaq Oloyede, disclosed this in Abuja on Saturday, during a monitoring tour of some CBT centres in Abuja.
Prof. Oloyede reiterated that there will be no extension of the deadline for the 2023 UTME registration, while warning centres against extortion of candidates.
Oloyede warned centres against the extortion of candidates. Oloyede frowed at the fact that some schools are charging candidates up to N30,000 to register for the UTME.
“UTME is not a school-based examination, it’s individual candidates and you can see what some schools are doing collecting N30,000 from candidates in the name of JAMB and then end up mixing up the telephone number of the candidates.
“So once they keep the telephone number of candidates it is unlikely that the candidates when we are contacting them to make a change in their timetable, you send text to them and it will not get to them,” he said.
“And that is a way of extorting the parents and we will take adequate steps to make sure that we stop that,” he said.
“We will tell every CBT centre to stop doing bulk purchase of PIN and bulk registration.
Oloyede urged candidates to report cases of extortion, saying that there was a code for candidates to reach the board when they come across any case of extortion while promising there would be a reward for such actions.
Leave a Reply