Why TASUED increased tuition fees — VC

The Vice-Chancellor of Tai Solarin University of Education, Ogun State, Prof Oluwole Banjo, on Wednesday, said that the removal of fuel subsidy was the reason behind the hike in tuition fees by the school.

Banjo disclosed this on Wednesday during the press briefing held on the heels of the 13th, 14th, and 15th convocations of the varsity slated for next Tuesday.

The VC who described as very exceptional the combined convocations noted that a total of 5153 students would be graduating during this event out of which 18 of them have First-class honours, 159 are graduating with Master’s degrees, 60 with Post Graduate Diploma in Education and 30 with Post Graduate Diploma.

He said that the former Deputy Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria and erstwhile President of TASUED Trust Foundation, Dr Tunde Lemo would be conferred with an Honourary Doctorate Degree in Economics.

The VC said, “This year is exceptional as we witness the combined convocation of the 13th, 14th, and 15th ceremonies, with a total of 5153 students graduating. Among them, 18 have achieved first-class honours, while 159 are graduating with master’s degrees, 60 with PGDE, and 30 with PGD.

“This year’s Honourary Degree will be bestowed on Dr Tunde Lemo, former CBN Deputy Governor and former President TASUED Trust Foundation.”

Speaking on the hike in the school fees, the VC said that after a series of meetings, the management reviewed the fees from N260,000 to N148,500 for returning students offering education and N158,500 for science students while fresh students offering education will pay N170,000 and those offering science courses will pay N180,000.

He said that the students could also choose to pay by instalments and that under this arrangement, the students will pay 60 per cent of their fees during the first semester and pay up the remaining 40 per cent during the second semester.

The VC said, “I also wish to address the recent adjustment in the school fees regime. Recognizing the changing economic landscape brought about by the removal of the Fuel subsidy and its attendant effect, the university has however introduced a two-installment payment plan to alleviate the financial burden on students.

“The institution’s work-study program provides an opportunity for students to work on campus while maintaining their studies.”

The VC also said that the institution is leaving no stone unturned to improve the security of both the staff and students of the school.

“On this security matter, we are leaving nothing to chance, I have even been to see the Inspector General of Police, Kayode Egbetokun, and we are regularly working with the state Commissioner of Police, CP Alamutu Abiodun to ensure that everyone is secured.”

The VC said that the combined convocations will also witness the launching of some infrastructural projects such as the Crystal Building, an ICT-based research and teaching facility, along with the Alumni Building, a 2000-seater capacity lecture theatre generously donated to the varsity.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.